The Story Behind The Song - What Are Words by Chris Medina



Anywhere you are, I am near
Anywhere you go, I'll be there
Anytime you whisper my name, you'll see
How every single promise I keep
Cuz what kind of guy would I be
If I was to leave when you need me most

What are words
If you really don't mean them
When you say them
What are words
If they're only for good times
Then they don't
When it's love
Yeah, you say them out loud
Those words, They never go away
They live on, even when we're gone

And I know an angel was sent
just for me
And I know I'm meant to be where I am
And I'm gonna be
Standing right beside her tonight
And I'm gonna be by your side
I would never leave when she needs me most

What are words
If you really don't mean them
When you say them
What are words
If they're only for good times
Then they don't
When it's love
Yeah, you say them out loud
Those words, they never go away
They live on, even when we're gone

Anywhere you are, I am near
Anywhere you go, I'll be there
And I'm gonna be here forever more
Every single promise I keep
Cuz what kind of guy would I be
If I was to leave when you need me most

I'm forever keeping my angel close

The Story Behind The Song

The producers of American Idol have become very savvy with releasing music throughout each season in order to capture potential sales as quickly as possible. In season 10, American Idol took that strategy to a new level by releasing a single for a contestant who didn't even make it to the Top 24.

When Losing is a Winning Situation

Chris Medina was anointed an early favorite for American Idol season 10 in the auditions when he sang for the judges in Milwaukee. Not only did Chris Medina sing well enough to get through, but he also won over the judges and the audience with the story of his fiance's accident and slow recovery. However, once Hollywood week began, Chris Medina seemed to get lost in the middle of the pack with some less-than-stellar performances. While many viewers may have been surprised that Chris Medina didn't make it through to the Top 24, even Jennifer Lopez could not argue with not putting him through.

In past seasons, an elimination prior to the Top 12 meant that a contestant was on their own to pursue a recording contract, but season 10 of American Idol saw the introduction of Jimmy Iovine. Not only did Jimmy Iovine help with the contestants personally, he also brought along his own team of writer/producers, including hitmaker Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins, known for his work with artists like Brandy, Beyonce as well as Britney Spears. Inspired by Chris and his finace's story, he wrote "What Are Words" and recorded it a few days after Chris was eliminated from American Idol.

When Good Isn't Good Enough

At the heart of "What Are Words" are lyrics inspired by things Chris Medina said and did during the audition and Hollywood week portions of the show. When Chris Medina sings "what kind of guy would I be/if I was to leave when you need me most," that lyric came straight from his own mouth when describing his dedication to helping his fiance Juliana ovecome the injuries sustained in her car accident.

My Note

I love this song simply because of it's story, simply because it represents the meaning of true love. He even appeared on Jay Leno's Show. I wish Chris all the best in his singing career and hope that his fiancee, although chances are little but no, it's not impossible, will be better soon.

Source(s)

1. Top40

2. Youtube


© Copyright Anak Jagung

Comments

Glay David said…
I also inspired by him~ he really shows the meaning of love in someways~ thanks for sharing & great post! :D
Chii said…
I second you -> I've blogged about this before :))
wilfred basquial said…
pa-Share...tnx ang ganda
Unknown said…
I love the song so much, I wish that Chris's future would be blessed abundantly. I hope and pray that Julianne would also be improved with the purpose of God's miracle, Its great