Do You Have A Facebook?


Ahhh, Facebook.
February 4th, 2009 marked the 5 year anniversary of Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook. Facebook statistics show that the social networking website has over 175 million active users; it is hardly something to be just looked over. Facebook is gaining power in a way that many speculators never thought possible.

There weren’t even 12 million users when I first created my account in 2006, and I am still appalled that the user count has sky rocketed; perhaps even I didn’t expect it to be so big. With such a growing user-count, many people find it astounding that it has such an affect on society as we know it.

Facebook allows users to essentially establish a ‘network’ of ‘friends’. Friends in this context may be anything from long lost elementary school friends to that incredilby embarrassing friend request from my mom, so un-cool.

Facebook also allows for a political platform, most notably and recent being the 2008 Presidential Election, where candidates on all sides found it essential to create Facebook accounts. Is it possible that Facebook has actually
changed the way society views politics as a whole?
“I think that Facebook has become a part of my daily routine,” junior Alex Leith said, “I check it every day, and if I don’t, I feel like I’mmissing out on something,”~ Alex Leith

Facebook has become a sort of addiction for people, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Although the term ‘addiction’connotes negativity, it is by no means negative.
Facebook is a phenomenon that joins people together, not only for political groups but also for the idea of being social. It is almost considereda taboo if you don’t have a Facebook account.


It is also by no means just one of those ‘teen-things’, it is a phenomenon that hits everyone, even our parents. Facebook helps our society, humans want to be social and Facebook allows us to be this way, no matter where we are at.

So the next time you are on Facebook, know that you, yes you, are part of a global phenomenon, a change in society that will touch everyone.

Source >link<


Comments